About Allerton Library
The Allerton branch of The New York Public Library opened January 20, 1959.
The brick limestone building was designed by architectural firm of Hertz and Salerni in conjunction with the New York City Department of Public Works. A nearly $500,000 spruce up was completed in 2015. It consisted of roof repairs, a renovated first floor, new computers, new furniture, a laptop bar with handicap seating, and new tables with power outlets to plug in electronic devices. New carpets were installed in both the first and second floors, and new paint job creates a more welcoming environment.
The two-floor building features public computers that can be reserved for 45-minute or 15-minute sessions and unlimited WiFi access. Public computer access for adults and young adult are located on the first floor and for children seperately on the second floor. The first floor is home to the adult, reference, media, world-language and young adult collections. The second floor is home to an extensive children's collection and a community room used to host a variety of programs, events, and activities for all ages. A 50-seat auditorium is located in the basement along with a multimedia studio.
Community District Information
For more information about your Community District, including census data, community board information, local schools, and other resources, see here.